Novo mesto is an economically thriving town. It is therefore a strategic challenge to create the importance of regional centre of economic activity and new opportunities for technological development. It is necessary to connect knowledge in the town, to provide educational programs, to create synergy between the distribution channels of individual companies and to create conditions for supporting young innovative businesses. The development of tourism should also be a good foundation from which industrial and sports tourism should be developed.
Vision of Novo mesto Urban Development: »Novo Mesto, including its urban neighbourhoods, needs to become a smart, sustainable and inclusive town, an attractive place to live, work and socialize in, important on the regional, national and cross-border levels.«
In order to set and define the direction in which Novo mesto will develop in the future, we have this year started the preparation of the Development Strategy of the Municipality of Novo mesto until 2030.
The areas of development towards becoming a smart city are as follows:
• taking care of the environment,
• smart infrastructure,
• friendly services and
• integration of local residents.
• Renovation and revitalization of wider town centre (start: 2017, finish: 2020)
• Maintaining circular footpaths and cycling tracks (start: 2015, finish: 2020)
• The Situla Archaeological Park (start: 2017, finish: 2027)
• Managing economic zones (start: 2017, finish: 2025)
• Electro-mobility projects (start: 2017, finish: 2020)
• Subsidiary sports hall (start 2017, finish: 2019)
• Spatial management of Roma settlements (start: 2017, finish: 2025)
• Local welfare system (start: 2018)
• Town pool (start: 2018, finish: 2021)
• System of connected services in the town (start: 2018, finish: 2020)
• A park in the area below the TUŠ supermarket (start: 2018, finish: 2019)
• Revitalisation of village centres (start: 2018, finish: 2022)
• House of technological progress (start: 2019, finish: 2022)
Novo mesto is striving to be a recognized university town. The spatial development of Novo mesto is aimed at creating a visible town in the Slovenian and wider area, particularly with the development of the university centre with a campus in Drgančevje.
The Situla Archaeological Park – European Iron Age Park of Novo mesto
Novo mesto is rich in cultural heritage, most prominent of which is archaeology of different periods, especially the remains of the Hallstatt period. The areas of urban heritage, memorial and archaeological heritage are included into the development of the town, moreover, archaeology and the historical town centre enhance the wider recognisability of Novo mesto.
Municipality of Novo mesto plans to build the “Situla Archaeological park – European Iron Age Park” on the Marof Hill that stretches above the town. On 32 hectares of land, the life and work of Iron Age people will be reconstructed.
Sports centre around the existing first-class velodrome
Novo mesto is a cycling capital of Slovenia as it is the home of the most successful Slovenian professional cycling team, “Adria Mobil”. In 1996, Novo mesto hosted a World Championship for young cyclists. For that purpose, the elite A-class velodrome (as rated by the Union Cycliste Interantionale) was built in Novo mesto and is still the only such object in the Belgrade – Vienna – Milan territory triangle.
The Municipality of Novo mesto plans to renovate the velodrome and build a sports and recreational area for different sports (cycling, athletics, triathlon) which will be used as a training object for professional sportsmen and sportswomen from all over the world.